Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bluewater

About 6 months ago, Matt found a lake in New Mexico stocked with Tiger Muskies that he was wanting to go fish.  He booked a campsite and for 6 months he talked about it every. single. day.  Finally Labor Day weekend rolled around and the trip was finally here.  We had invited Matt's parents to join us for the trip, and they arrived late Thursday night in Phoenix.  We decided to leave Clayton with Aunt Jenny for the weekend, I struggled with the decision but in the end it seemed like he would be much happier playing at her house than being stuck on a boat.  Kate went to school for a 1/2 day Friday and once she was home we took off to New Mexico.  Matt's parents decided to rent a Motor home for the weekend which ended up being the best idea ever.  We made it to our campsites late Friday night, set up came in the dark and admired the amount of stars in the sky.  The next 3 days we spent fishing.  Saturday the fishing was fantastic.  We all, well almost all of us, caught fish.  Kate counted every fish reeled in on her fishing pole as "her" fish, and also claims she caught the biggest one.

The weather was beautiful, warm and sunny during the days and nice and cool at night.  There were a few rainstorms that blew through, which was fun, and made us grateful to have the Motor home around.  I always love going camping, and being outdoors.  There's just something about it that is good for the soul.  I'm grateful my parents took the time and energy to take me camping and backpacking as a child. I hope my kids learn to have the same love for the outdoors that I do.  I'm also grateful for my sweet husband who planned the whole thing, and for my wonderful in-laws who were able to come and spend the time with us.
While unhooking Kate's "big" fish, the fish began to toss and turn and in the process Morgan's arm was hooked. 
Gabriella wanted to "pet" every fish we caught.
Doing play dough at the campsite.
I had never seen grass grow these beautiful plumes before.
We hiked down this beautiful canyon, right by our campsite.
Helping Grandma fix dinner.


Playing in the front of the boat with Grandpa.
The rain, and hail.
We saw some incredible lightning.
And even more beautiful sunsets. 

Sitting with Grandma
Morgan caught this super cute baby lizard for the girls to hold.
Morgan caught a baby crawdad for the girls to see.
Then the crawdad grabbed a grasshopper.
The girls were great hikers, I thought they would get tired, but they practically ran up the trail.

No comments: